Start from Scratch or use Leftover Grilled Chicken!
Chicken salad sandwiches are tasty and popular! Just ask visitors to Augusta National during the Masters golf tournament as the humble chicken salad sandwich has a spot on the famed courses menu alongside the classic Masters Pimento Cheese sandwich.
So why not add the bonus flavor of grilled chicken instead of regular boiled chicken? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t!
You can make this recipe with freshly grilled chicken packed with smoke flavor or use leftover grilled chicken, and even leftover rotisserie chicken! It also is perfect with smoked whole birds and turkey.
Upping your Chicken Salad Game!
- Make grilled chicken salad sliders.
- Make grilled cheese smoked chicken salad sandwiches with Texas Toast.
- Add crumbled bacon to your grilled chicken salad.
- Use grilled chicken salad as a starter for a dip for chips and crackers.
- Add dashes of buffalo wing sauce.
- Add a splash of taco sauce and make grilled chicken salad quesadillas.
Use the BBQ Dragon Extra Large Combination Rib and Roast Chicken Rack for your next chicken grilling session. Extra-large combination Rib Rack and Roast/Chicken Rack with non-stick porcelain coating for easy cleaning. Holds 6 racks of ribs in the upright position so you can fit more ribs in your grill or smoker. And then just flip the rack over to use as a chicken or roast rack. Two must-have grill accessories in one high-quality oven rack.
Smoky Chicken Salad
- 2 pounds smoked/grilled chicken. boneless, skinless chopped or shredded
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup red onion peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- A small amount of shredded red cabbage if desired.
Combine all of the ingredients and mix to coat chicken evenly. Add more mayonnaise if needed. Cover and chill before serving.
Author Bio: Kent Whitaker, also known as “The Deck Chef,” is an award-winning culinary writer and cookbook author. He’s also penned Young Reader, NASCAR, and History titles. The former winner of the Emeril Live Food Network Barbecue Contest also covers football, motorsports, and bass fishing. Kent currently lives in East Tennessee with his wife, son, and a couple of dogs that love when he fires up the smoker or grill. You can reach out to Kent at www.thedeckchef.com, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.